Being something of an Anglophile, I couldn’t resist making a list of great (library circulating) British miscellanea. The list includes books, music, movies, and people that help make England more interesting. I have omitted what some may think of as obvious choices like James Bond (my Bond of choice is Scottish) and the Rolling Stones (you can’t like them if you like The Beatles…it’s a rule) so feel free to comment below and add to my list!
- Monty Python — I’m partial to the movies: Holy Grail, Life of Brian, Meaning of Life.
- The Beatles — The eternal question. Which album is the best? My current faves: Rubber Soul, Revolver, The White Album, and the Anthology.
- Alan Rickman — He’s always great, but some of his best villain work is in Die Hard and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Check him out being funny in Dogma, being sweet in Sense and Sensibility, and being not so sweet in:
- Harry Potter— Read/watch them in order, but my favorite is Prisoner of Azkaban (movie version).
- Henry VIII and his wives — Watch The Tudors, read The Other Boleyn Girl.
- Neil Gaiman— His juvenile work is getting a lot of press right now, but adults should try the short stories: Fragile Things and Smoke and Mirrors.
- Classic Authors: Shakespeare, Jane Austen, and the Brontës — Romeo and Juliet (movie version), Emma (movie version), Jane Eyre (movie version), Wuthering Heights (movie version).