My daughter started college this week, and I start teaching a class for Catholic University’s graduate program in Library Science next week. So, I find myself thinking of books about school and academics. There are a lot of fascinating works of fiction set in academia. They are often funny, satiric, and thoughtful in equal measure. Here are some of my favorites.
- Robertson Davies — The Lyre of Orpheus
- Michael Malone — Foolscap
- R.F. Delderfield — To Serve Them All My Days
- Jon Hassler — Rookery Blues
- Phillip Roth — The Human Stain
- David Lodge — Small World
- Kingsley Amis — Lucky Jim
- Richard Russo — Straight Man
Other favorites? Add them in the comments.